SPS Conference 2011
Welcome to material from the SPS Professional Development Conference, Newport May 2011!
In March 2011 Safe Place Services hosted the first National forum within the Adventist Church in Australia for administrators and key 'safe place' personnel. Over 100 delgates attended the forum.
Delegates particpated in a plenary session where resolutions were discussed and voted. These resolutions will guide the ongoing work of the Adventist Church in Australia and New Zealand through the Safe Place Services program. The resolutions aim to buid of the work of transforming Church culture from one of denial and minimization of abuse towards a future that is characterized by openness, healing and safety with an emphasis on prevention and ongoing support to victims and survivors of abuse.
Materials from the Forum to Download
Forum Openning Address
"Why Safe Places in the Adventist Church?" by Dr Bryan Craig (uploading soon)
Handout, Workshop on Grooming, by Geoff Kelly (uploading soon)
Visit Bravehearts for information and resources
Movies (MPEG-4) Files
Patrick Parkinson, Keynote address: 'Sustainable Child Protection'
Six (6) movie clips from Patrick's talk cover the following topics:
- Motivation for creating Safe Churches (4 mins 45 sec)
- Why Churches need to Safe-guard (9 mins 40 sec)
- People at 'risk' in Churches and the Nature of Disclosures (insights from the Anglican experience in Australia) (7 mins 40 sec)
- Warning Signs for Churches (9 mins 24 sec)
- Effective Child Protection in Churches (4 mins)
- Five Commitments (7 mins 8 sec)